Wednesday 23 July 2014

'nids part 149 - Not a Pyrovore

I don't know if this fella ever showed up in the background of any other WiP photos but in typical 40kaddict fashion when in doubt - paint a Tyranid! This Pyrovore, which I got from Otty about a year ago to use as a Biovore has been sat on the table for quite a while. Initially this was because I didn't want him on a 60mm and he's too big for a 40mm. Now I know there's 'legal' issues with putting him on the correct sized base [i.e. the one it comes with] but as far as I'm concerned this model fits a 50mm base, so that's what he went on. And really the basing issue mainly comes down to assault [although being hit by blasts is another issue...] and Biovores hardly ever get into assault.


There were some issues with the super glue breaking and needing to be reposed and pinned which delayed his progress but eventually he was primed and ready to go. I'd painted the base, alongside all the Dark Vengeance marines and then in a burst of activity did the Bonewhite and Chitin [DoCraft Bahama Blue] just because.


Then I went and did all the washes and unusually did the Bonewhite highlight first. I always tend to do the Chitin first but there's nothing like messing with your process to keep things fresh.


It's really weird just to do one model, quite satisfying though. I enjoyed doing the 4 Horsemen but that was 4 models and this sole one in amongst all the other Dark Angel and Parade board stuff is like an 'amuse-bouche' - cleansing my palette while I struggle with the other projects that are less straight-forward.


I really think this may be a way to work through the Fallen, always have a 'nid on hand, I just have to make sure I'm not spending hours on them instead of hours on the Dark Angels and a little bit of time on the 'nids to help get me through.


Anyway, next up more highlights, you know how this goes by now.


It'll be nice to finally have two 'Biovores' now. I know it's still proxying but it's much better than proxying a Warrior and this is such a decent model, even if the Codex unit is pants, can't wait to have fun with the fluff on that!


7 comments:

  1. I've found that having a quick easy model (nids for me too) around when you can;t be arsed with a full project is a great way to get over lethargy.

    Maybe one day Pyrovores will get the torrent they so dearly need to be any good. Until then they shall remain a unit no one knows what they are for (other than the 1 in a thousand terminator bomb).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Torrent would make so much sense, such a missed opportunity.

      Delete
  2. I should try painting up some nids. They look like they'd be similar to orks in regard to washes/dry brushing picking up lots of detail quickly. (as long as you aren't attempting the Dave method of painting tons of detail in the chitin shells).

    I quite like how quickly your models progress in detail as you build them up. I also don't think any opponent would have any issue with the proxy, or the bases. If they did, you wouldn't want to play them anyway!

    I once let one of my friends use a "kettle" as a monolith. He wanted to see if it was worthwhile running two before he bought another. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so surprised how easy nids were to paint, I strongly believe you could stop after the wash phase and they'd look cool. They're so forgiving because any mistakes and it's natures fault. Unlike Space Marine armour which needs a steadier hand because it's man-made,

      Delete
  3. I find that having just one project on the go can get quite tedious, so I usually try and break it up with other smaller ones. I play a variety of games, such as dreadball, infinity and malifaux, and of course 40k, so I usually do a squad for 40k, than paint a solo infinity mini and then back to 40k ect ect. It really helps to keep each game system fresh and exciting and the bulk painting less tedious because there is a new project waiting at the end!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not having that 'blank canvas' problem when one project finishes is essential for maintaining hobby momentum. It is such a good idea to have some thing else going alongside whatever project is your main focus so it can ramp up progress when the main job is complete.

      Delete
  4. Such a lovely model it really is a pity about the rules for them.

    ReplyDelete