Friday 21 November 2014

Terrain is everything - 'Tis the season to pick up your trees

A few years ago I picked up a bag of model trees from Dobbies, our local garden centre [and craft shop]. They only have them in the run up to Christmas as they're for making your own Christmas scene with miniature revelers and holiday nik-naks. In fact I tried to get some more last year and they had none in stock.


Now I haven't had chance to go this year but I'm hoping they're back in stock and just thought I'd remind folk about them. The set I got was 21 pieces from a company called Lemax for £13 which I think is good value. Clearly there's at least two that are just a bit too big, they're the same size as my 40k outpost that got bigger! but great line of sight blockers for a Trygon!


Of course they weren't going to fit with my table so I decided to paint them - undercoating them all in Red Oxide primer and then repainting them in shades of yellow.


And here's the finished result:


6 comments:

  1. Nice dave! Have you thought about distressing some of them any? Maybe tearing off some branches? I don't know what that would look like...but so pristine! The nids wouldn't have that. They'd at least have a few munches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't the ones with the snow already on look a lot better than those without, and take paint better I imagine. They also come in different shapes. Lemax are a US company so you can probably get them for buttons.

      As much as the Tyrnaids would like to get their grubby little claws and talons on the the Ferron Fire Firs they have an unnerring propensity for self combustion when Tyranid bio-forms are in close proximity. It's almost as if the planet is rebelling against their presense! One day they'll develop a flame retardant Ripper and then those trees better watch out!

      Delete
    2. http://40kaddict.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/flufftastic-ferron-fire-firs.html

      Delete
    3. Thanks for that! That was a bit before the greggles paying attention to bloggers time!

      Delete
  2. Those could actually work really well. At first I thought they looked pretty lame but the simple spray coat has transformed them already, and they will fit in nicely on your board.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that you took the time to paint yours. I wound up buying like 7 sets of these exact trees on discount to replace the ones I already have, but I dont' want to use them because they do look a little too christmasy. I'm going to bookmark this post in the hopes that I one day get inspired to follow your lead.

    ReplyDelete