Tuesday 24 November 2015

Dark Angel Objective markers

I made another decision. Despite being perfectly happy with my force field pylon objective markers I decided to do the force field glow effect on the generators. I planned to add glow effects on the Knight so it made sense to recreate the effect I did for my Plasma weaponry to see how it would look. I know that sounds odd as my Plasma guys clearly illustrate how, but I needed more reassurance.


I wasn't 100% convinced this time around. I'm not sure it looks like a glow and more like yellow discs.


With that doubt in mind I added a little more orange inside the creases of the discs.


I think this is more what I was after, it's less defined as an object but I think more realistc as a source of lighting.


I also applied the same effect to the plasma coils in the Teleport homers. Obviously I did them completely differntly to how I did Plasma coils on my weponry but nevermind.


I'm less convinced of the beacon lights but I'm hoping Tamiya Clear Red X-27 may lift them up. The OSL works, it's just the lights themselves that look a bit flat.


Nearly there though and then I can tick them off. Still no idea how to number them, there realy isn't space to put a numeral and even then it'd look slapped on after adding the SFX now :(

The question is do I go with the yellow/orange glow as above [when there's already yellow on the chevrons so it may look confusing] or, do I go with the green glow I did on my Epic Reaver titan?



What do you think? I'm not even sure if this was the final iteration of the orange plasma, maybe that's it, less yellow/white moar orange.

8 comments:

  1. I'd give inverse highlights a try. Often with a light scource expecially when the object is hother the deep recesses are the brightest as the heat and light is comming from within.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this might work on the knight, bit of a gamble but I'll try and give it a go, thanks.

      Delete
  2. I'd give inverse highlights a try. Often with a light scource expecially when the object is hother the deep recesses are the brightest as the heat and light is comming from within.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could always number around the edge of the bases. Not ideal, but wouldn't mess up the nice paint job on the markers themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, that was my thought but it means putting a number of the round the base so you can see them from different angles...

      Delete
  4. Numbers on the bases sir. They look very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tha or make some more so the sizes/shape help differentiate the numbers ie. the smallest homer is one the taller homer is two, I've an ammo crate I need to paint up that could be 4, the Force Shields could be 3? Or maybe they're just unmarked for Eternal War missions, remember them?!

      Delete
  5. Very nice - +1 for identifiers on the bases

    PS I love the glowing eyes on your Reaver. Masterfully done and VERY effective

    ReplyDelete